Information for Wood Awards Ireland Entrants
Wood Awards Ireland 2020 (WAI) are open to Registered Architects, engineers, designers, woodworkers and other practitioners throughout Ireland who incorporate wood as the inherent medium in submitted projects.
Supported by the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI), WAI 2020 is also open to Irish practitioners based overseas. WAI is part funded by the Forest Sector Development Division, Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Coillte and Enterprise Ireland. RIAI and the Society of Irish Foresters provide administration and promotional support. Awards ceremony on 12 November 2020 at a Dublin venue to be announced, subject to Covid-19 guidelines.
Eligible projects must be completed during the period 1 August 2016 and 30 June 2020 and construction projects must be in compliance with the Building Regulations. Sustainable timber sourcing is a key element of the project with emphasis on energy efficiency. Timber used must be sourced in sustainably managed forests and conform to the EU Timber Regulation (No 995/2010).
- Entries are accepted in eight categories listed on the WMF website (www.wood.ie).
- Large-scale public buildings: Emphasis on wood as a structural component. Located in Ireland or abroad but with major Irish architectural input by a Registered Architect MRIAI.
- Small-scale private buildings by a Registered Architect MRIAI.
- International award – best overseas project by a Registered Architect MRIAI, Engineer or Designer (all categories).
- Restoration and conservation.
- Furniture: a) bespoke; and/or b) production.
- Innovation – functional and non-functional: Wood Local (local sourcing, processing and making); Wood Innovate (creative, sculptural, conceptual); and c) Wood Work (craft and related woodwork ).
- Newcomer award: Wood based start-up businesses, established since 2015.
- Student Wood Awards – entries accepted from third level colleges in all categories.
HOW TO ENTER
CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES EXTENDED TO 28TH JULY 2020
Please contact Secretary WMF at email@example.com if you need further information.