This year the Wood Marketing Federation (WMF) launches the tenth annual Third Level Student Wood Awards in 2015. These are now regarded as the premier awards for third level students of architecture, engineering, design and innovation in Ireland who specialise in making work in timber and timber products. The awards are open to students who incorporate wood as an inherent element in their projects. Award winners have gone on to pursue successful careers in wood and related businesses and have exhibited at Irish and international shows.
The objective of the awards is to encourage students to explore functional, aesthetic and design aspects of wood. The awards are judged by professionals in the fields of architecture, engineering and design. The feedback from the judging panel is extremely valuable to students.
The 3rd Level Student Wood Awards are divided into the following categories:
- Timber and engineering in construction
Total prize fund is €6,000. Awards presented to category winners while an overall award may be presented for a project of exceptional quality. Individually sculpted awards will be presented to the winners while certificates will be presented to commended projects. Placements may also be offered with Irish companies specialising in wood and wood design.
- Completed application forms (see below) to be emailed or posted to Debbie Hackett (Debbie.Hackett@coillte.ie Student Wood Awards, Coillte HQ, Newtownmountkennedy, Co. Wicklow) by 9th June 2014. For further information please phone 01 2015209.
- College selection process – participating college will select one winner in relevant category to go forward to 3rd Level Student Wood Awards. College representative project should be forwarded by email or post to. Please contact Debbie Hackett
- Adjudication to be held as follows:
- Finalists will be judged on the quality of their projects and presentation which should comprise:
- Thursday 18th June 2014 in Dublin – venue to be finalised. Applicants will be notified of location of venue.
- – Project representation – students can choose relevant media including examples of work, 3D models, photographs, drawings, etc.
- – A 1 size poster describing the project.
- – PowerPoint presentation (maximum 10 minutes) followed by question and answer session with award judges.
The winners will be announced and prizes presented at a special ceremony held at a Dublin venue (to be announced) later in the year.
The Student Wood Awards are organised by the Wood Marketing Federation. Coillte is the main sponsor with additional funding provided by COFORD, Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine and the Society of Irish Foresters.
Sample application form